Saturday 24 July 2010

F$&'IN` HOT SNACKS

After a hard days work, I like to have a cold beer and some snacks.
If any of you share the same past time, then Japan is the place for you,

I have always enjoyed spicy snacks, and 2 years ago, I came ac cross a snack that had health warnings on the back of it. Like most Japanese snacks, its all hype to get you to spend your money. However I have found 4 snacks that require some respect.



So to help you understand about my favourite snacks, Ill give them a score of "street fighter",

So lets begin, Green snacks: these are not chili based, these are in fact "wa-sa-bi わさび". Unlike chili snacks, there is very little burning of the tongue, this is all nasal. Now these snacks are identical, and normally not very hot, however every now and then you eating away and you suddenly feel like a group of ninja fairy`s are at war in your nose.....its a 3 second long pain, which then subsides and your free to continue drinking and snacking. "wasabi stinger" quite enjoyable! Street fighter rating: Blanka

Next snack: red savanna habanero! far left
These crisps seem to make an appearance every summer, for around 2 months.
They have a scoville rating of 350,000 to 580,000, to put that in perspective, the Jalapeno pepper comes in at max 8,000. (which makes it 72,500 times hotter than Jalapeno)
In this pack, there are about 30~40 small sized crisps, and in one sitting I have only managed to consume about half a pack. And I mean my mouth is on fire, I am giving up the beer, and on to the milk (which I can do a pint of) then on too the ice, after 30min I have a pain in my stomach, seriously not for kids or adults or pussies like.
Street fighter rating: Sagat

Link: makers snack homepage
http://boukun.jp/daiyogen/#

Next is the snack in the middle:
This snack I was luckily or unlucky to find about 2 years ago, It had warning signs on the back of people saying how hot it was, and a health warning on the front.
I opened the packet, managed 2 crisps, closed the packed and put them in the freezer, My colleague Kenta was also forced to eat with me, for the next 30min we were doing howler monkey impressions with our cheeks, fidgeting and tongueless conversation went something like "ahh yuu oke" to which each other replied "...Naa...HAaaa"
Now what I have seen this year not content with just having their own Red Savanna Habaneros, and alot more of them than the above shack, they have brought their friend along "death sauce" which is a mixture of Red Savanna Habanero AND Naga Jolokia aka Ghost Chili(which is regarded as the worlds hottest chili) rated at over 1million scoville, guess they needed red habanero to water it down..hehe
Needless to say, I have not yet had the confidence or friend / torture victim to open a packet.
But I will find someone....where is Kentas number hehe

P.S: if your wondering why I put them in the freezer, I wanted to challenge them another day, to see if being frozen makes a difference...........boy was I disappointed and in pain again

And the Street fighter rating: there isnt one, this is Mortal Kombat "GET OVER HERE" shit ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment